Bottle bills work!
Bottle bills (also known as container deposit laws) are a proven, sustainable method of capturing beverage bottles and cans for recycling. The refund value of the container (usually 5 or 10 cents) provides a monetary incentive to return the container for recycling.Bottle Bills...
- Supply recyclable materials for a high-demand market
- Conserve energy and natural resources
- Create new businesses and jobs
- Reduce waste disposal costs
- Reduce litter
- and provide many more benefits
News and Updates
- Mass. bottle bill expansion defeated - November 5th, 2014 - MASS - Voters across Massachusetts on Tuesday decided their state’s deposit program will not be expanded to include water bottles and other noncarbonated beverages.
- Legislature needs to rethink California’s recycling program, audit concludes - November 6th, 2014 - California - Persistent deficits undermining California’s recycling fund compel the Legislature to rethink how the program is structured, a new state audit concludes.
Explore Bottle Bills
Keep up to date with the latest media coverage of bottle bills, including new campaigns, proposed changes to bottle bills, and public opinions.
The Bottle Bill Resource Guide is an ongoing project of the Container Recycling Institute, dedicated to providing comprehensive information about beverage container deposit laws across the US and around the world.