Bottle bills work!
Bottle bills (also known as container deposit laws) are a proven, sustainable method of capturing beverage bottles and cans for recycling. The refund value of the container (usually 5 or 10 cents) provides a monetary incentive to return the container for recycling.Bottle Bills...
- Supply recyclable materials for a high-demand market
- Conserve energy and natural resources
- Create new businesses and jobs
- Reduce waste disposal costs
- Reduce litter
- and provide many more benefits
News and Updates
- Oregon's expansion bill was signed into law on June 9. The new law will cover most beverages, and the deposit will be increased if recycling rates drop.
- The beverage industry's latest attempt to thwart deposit systems by promoting a flawed vision of extended producer responsibility is analyzed in CRI's "CRI Comments on Natural Logic’s White Paper on EPR for Packaging" [pdf]
- Congratulations to Australia's Northern Territory, for passing the second deposit-refund law in Australia, and the first deposit-refund law of 2011!
Explore Bottle Bills
Keep up to date with the latest media coverage of bottle bills, including new campaigns, proposed changes to bottle bills, and public opinions.
The Bottle Bill Resource Guide is an ongoing project of the Container Recycling Institute, dedicated to providing comprehensive information about beverage container deposit laws across the US and around the world.