Bottle bills work!
Bottle bills (also known as container deposit laws) are a proven, sustainable method of capturing beverage bottles and cans for recycling. The refund value of the container (usually 5 or 10 cents) provides a monetary incentive to return the container for recycling.Bottle Bills...
- Supply recyclable materials for a high-demand market
- Conserve energy and natural resources
- Create new businesses and jobs
- Reduce waste disposal costs
- Reduce litter
- and provide many more benefits
News and Updates
- Summary: Preliminary Study West Coast Communities’ Cost of Managing Marine Debris Through a contract from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Pacific Southwest Office (EPA), Kier Associates (Kier) quantified the amount that 90 cities in California, Oregon, and Washington watersheds are spending to clean up litter and prevent trash from entering our oceans. This preliminary study found that West Coast communities are spending an estimated $520 million each year to control litter and avoid marine debris.
Explore Bottle Bills
Keep up to date with the latest media coverage of bottle bills, including new campaigns, proposed changes to bottle bills, and public opinions.
The Bottle Bill Resource Guide is an ongoing project of the Container Recycling Institute, dedicated to providing comprehensive information about beverage container deposit laws across the US and around the world.