House Bill 7193
|Bill Number and Name||Rhode Island House Bill 7193 –
Beverage Container Deposit Implementation
|Primary Sponsor||Representatives Barros, Abney, Kazarian, Coughlin, & Solomon|
01/14/2016 Introduced, referred to House Finance Committee
Deposits and Fees
- Deposit: $0.05 refundable deposit on each container.
- Unredeemed deposits: 25% of abandoned deposit amounts may be used by the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation to support municipal and commercial recycling programs, 75% of abandoned deposits are to be remitted to the general treasurer and deposited in the general fund.
- Redemption centers will be established by the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation.
- Return to reverse vending machine (RVM) will also be an option to consumers. Dealers shall allow installation of reverse vending machines on their property by the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation.
- Imposes a civil penalty of not more than $1,000 on any bottler, distributor, redemption center or dealer who violates any provisions of the proposed bill.Dealers who have not made timely and full payments will be subject to pay interest on unpaid payments at the rate of 1.5% for each month, until payment is made in full.
Updated April 27, 2016